The Internet of Things in Healthcare
Caring for patients with neurodegenerative diseases such as Parkinson’s disease, Alzheimer’s disease, or epilepsy, is always challenging, both at home and in institutional care. Thanks to data obtained from IoT devices, the quality of life of such patients can now be significantly improved by the continuous monitoring of their state of health as well as by better treatment customization. Moreover, this data is valuable for both disease research and treatment cost management.
WHAT ARE THE BENEFITS OF IMMEDIATE DATA AVAILABLE FROM IoT DEVICES?
- Improving the quality of life of patients in home care and better supervision of patients in healthcare facilities
- Continuous monitoring of the patient’s condition using sensors able to monitor things such as tonic-clonic seizures, monitored data anomalies, patient falls, loss of vital functions, bracelet composition, and physiological changes indicating the onset of a seizure
- Localizing the patient if a critical event is detected (a fall or a loss of vital functions)
- Acquired data visualization for medical staff and family members
- The ability to set up better personalized treatment
- Cost optimization of the treatment of patients with neurodegenerative diseases
- Valuable data for neurodegenerative disease research
WHO WILL BENEFIT FROM THE OBTAINED INFORMATION?
DOCTORS Higher quality and availability of data about a patient’s condition leads to better treatment planning.
PATIENTS Prolonging the stay away from healthcare facilities improves the quality of life of patients.
NURSES AND RELATIVES Continuous monitoring of patients' conditions makes caring for them simpler and easier.
HEALTH INSURANCE COMPANIES Patient monitoring and better setting of their treatment optimizes the costs borne by health insurance companies.
RESEARCH The data obtained are a valuable source of information in the research of neurodegenerative diseases.